Advertisements

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Exercise 10: Idioms & Phrases in English- for SSC CGL, CHSL, Bank Po, UPSC & GMAT Exams

91 Q) The student is on the verge of breakdown.
(1) on the brink of
(2) at the outset of
(3) in the midst of
(4) at the risk of
Show Answer

92 Q) My repeated attempts to get refund from the civic authorities were of no avail.
(1) unsuccessful
(2) postponed
(3) useless
(4) delayed
Show Answer

93 Q) He was progressing by leaps and bounds because of his hardwork,
(1) rapidly
(2) slowly
(3) peacefully
(4) strongly
Show Answer

94 Q) To emerge out of thin air means to
(1) appear suddenly
(2) descend gradually
(3) fall down quickly
(4) enter from space
Show Answer

95 Q) The news of the accident came as a bolt from the blue
(1) something unexpected
(2) something unpleasant
(3) something horrible
(4) something unexpected and unpleasant
Show Answer

96 Q) The story of the train accident as narrated by one of the survivors made my flesh creep.
(1) thrilled me
(2) horrified me
(3) excited me
(4) frightened me
Show Answer

97 Q) He has resigned his job and burnt his boats so far as government service is concerned.
(1) felt dejected
(2) blasted his hopes
(3) ruined himself
(4) left no means of retreat
Show Answer

98 Q) He cannot hold a candle to his elder brother.
(1) equal to
(2) not as clever as
(3) cannot be compared to
(4) duller than
Show Answer

99 Q) The question of higher membership fees was brought up at the last meeting.
(1) discussed at great length
(2) introduced for discussion
(3) criticised vehemently
(4) vaguely referred to
Show Answer

100 Q) His arguments cut no ice with me.
(1) had no influence on me
(2) did not hurt me
(3) did not benefit me
(4) did not make me proud
Show Answer

No comments:

Post a Comment